In Advanced Math B, we previewed Lessons 95 and 96. One problem I am noticing is that the students are very sleepy and quiet during Math. In fact, I think they are just waking up around the time we hit Chemistry. I know Mondays are crazy for everyone, but please try to get enough sleep before class. Parents, please help with that. It is discouraging to see students nodding off in the first class of the day!
In Shakespeare, we discussed Act II of Henry V. For the essay topic, you can choose either #3, 5, 9 or 10 of the suggested paper topics on Page 71 and 72 of Brightest Heaven of Invention. Read Lesson 3 in Brightest Heaven of Invention and the associated parts of the play. Remember to be identifying your 30 lines of Shakespeare to recite on Week 8. The essay will be due on Week 8 as well.
In Logic, we discussed Chapter 7, which is covering conditional syllogisms. This begins a shift away from categorical syllogisms, so it is very important that you do your practice problems here! Also do the Plato case study, using the argument from Symposium to construct a conditional syllogism. It can be either a normal conditional syllogism, which has as its major premise an "If, then" statement and then the minor and conclusion are categorical. Also, you can write it as a pure conditional syllogism in which all premises contain conditional statements. Be aware that we will have a quiz on Chapters 4-6 on Week 7. The format will be similar to the last quiz.
In US History, we did our debate! Congratulations to all our debaters. While I felt that the affirmative team technically won the debate, I must acknowledge that the negative team had the much harder job. There is far more material on the affirmative side. So congratulations to the negative for a difficult job well done. We need to really push ahead on reading now, so I am assigning Chapter 12 and a part of Chapter 13, pp. 457 to 473 to the section entitled "A Brilliant Madman, Born a Century Too Soon". Remember to use the time line at the beginning of the chapter to add to your History Timeline and Facts Notebook. Don' t worry so much about indepth outlining. Instead, read to glean the information and just enjoy the anecdotal style of writing. I'd much rather you at least read, and not outline, than not read at all! Be prepared for a strong discussion, and be brave! Take part and take a risk by sharing your ideas!
As our Foundations group says, go out in the world and "Be a blessing!"
Love,
Mrs. Stegall
No comments:
Post a Comment