Hi there! Okay, so I admit that I am new to blogging. Forgive me if I mess this up. We are going to be keeping up our communications via this blog and that way, everyone has a central place to go to for information. There is also a science link for Ms. Matthews to post her chemistry information. I'll also see if I can set up a Spanish link for Ms. Adams. We will be meeting at Calvary Christian Church next week, in Caleb House.
For Parents: Let me say "Thank You" for allowing me such a place of honor in your child's education. This will be a fun and exciting journey. We had a great day on Tuesday. For Advanced Math A students, you should have seen an email from Heather Shirley. For my Advanced Math B students, we reviewed Lessons 56-59. Next week we start with Lessons 60 & 61. They need to read over the lessons, so that they are familiar for next week.
In Shakespeare, they will be reading Act 1 of Julius Caesar and the accompanying Lesson 1 in the commentary. They also need to put into final form their poem that we worked on in Class and read Chapter 1 of "Roar on the Other Side". We will be doing class discussion and reading aloud in Shakespeare. At the end of the play, they will be presenting 30 lines of Shakespeare and they will have an analytical essay due.
In Philosophy, they need to read Chapter One and outline the chapter. They need to be prepared to lead discussion in class next week. This is a fascinating class. We had a discussion on why ideas are important and what it means to examine our life and the way we live it.
In US History, we talked about the Introduction to the book, "A Patriot's History of the United States" . Just for fun, we did a comprehensive Jeopardy game to show just how much we know about American History. We'll do it again at the end of the year as a benchmark of how much we've learned! They need to read Chapter One for next week, add the dates into their timeline and prepare an outline/study notes for class discussion.
I am ordinarily not going to list the assignments out each week. They are in the curriculum guide. So this will be the place where I post changes or other pertinent information.
For Students: Be thinking about your 30 lines of Shakespeare. Take some time to review your information on writing essays. Don't forget to outline your material. This is crucial to success in the class. If you get lazy in this area, it will show!!!!
Also, this year, I have made a decision NOT to accept any emailed essays or assignments. It just became too messy last year. It ended up that everyone was emailing instead of turning them in and I had to keep up with who had emailed and who hadn't. Then I had to print the papers out. So, you need to have your papers ready to turn in on the day they are due. Period.
I am praying for all of you this week and you begin your work. I pray for diligence and perserverance, as well as God's wisdom! Have a blessed week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I LOVE this blog! What a great way to keep up w/ the kids you're teaching. What a personal way to reach them & communicate.
Believe me...in the past 2 weeks, I've (for the first time) seriously thought & truly prayed about home schooling our children. We took a 'mental health day' & went to the Zoo on Tues., as to avoid our dear Leader's speech to the school children of America. *aack*
Laurie~ God bless you & Susan with what you're doing for these children. And thank you again for the wonderful comment you left for me last week. What a treasure!
Post a Comment